View Single Post
Old 2008-07-31, 15:30   Link #444
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
In the manga he's not always in the mirror too since he fights Asura, obv not in a mirror but yeah I agree the mirror is significant.

Ok maybe I should have rephrased the "just a tech" but I was paraphrasing from RC, obv SS isnt just a tech but the mask aspect is interesting. But Imd makes a good point with the pic posted of Asura fighting SS, there doesnt seem to much too him.

We know SS is bound to Shibusen because of Asura, atleast until Asura escaped (right? he's not still bound is he?).
Though Asura being out rather suggests Shinigami would be free, I'm not sure about that. The last time I brought it up (somewhere...could have been here, might not) someone pointed out that if Shinigami had used a lot of strength to bind Asura, even if he was now free from that 'spell' he's not immediately as strong as he was before.

On the other hand, there's the storytelling aspect to consider here. If Shinigami was free to roam around as he wished - thanks to Asura being out - he could possibly track down Arachne and Asura himself. I can't imagine he'd leave the attack on Arachnaphobia's HQ to Medusa and his own students if there was any alternative. Medusa tried to 'destroy the world' and judging by a certain flashback Shinigami has...issues with Arachne (he is so fun when he's being nasty ).

Shinigami being bound serves a plot device to stop that (relatively) simple elimination whilst allowing for more drama and action on the part of the student characters. That said, the fact the mangaka's not clarified SS's status on the seal is itself something of a plothole.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote