View Single Post
Old 2012-11-18, 13:36   Link #53
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's the difference between you and me. I found the above part so horrible I burst out laughing. That's the first time I complain about the animation, by the way, though I've always found it rather cheap. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I agree this kind of story doesn't necessarily need top-notch animation quality, but VN players may argue that this particular work deserves it.
Then maybe they should lower their standards a bit. I don't care how good or bad the game is, but I think a lot of the flack this show has been getting stems from VN players being too spoiled with most of the KEY games being adapted by KyoAni, and thus expecting them to do this one too. Now that they turned down the offer, and J.C. Staff (which many believe is an inferior studio) getting it, they vent their disappointment in (IMO) harsher-than-needed criticism. I agree that some scenes in LB! could look better, but they don't hinder my enjoyment of the show as a whole.

Quote:
Given that the VN already has drawings, music, and voices; the only added value of the anime is animation. If you're not going to have good animation (or any animation at all sometimes), one has to wonder what the point of an anime adaptation even is.
1. Promoting the original source (in this case, the VN),
2. Sell anime/game-related merchandise (figurines, etc.),
3. Entertain.

I don't particularly care how good or bad a show looks, as long as it's within limits I find acceptable and it entertains me. And I place value in that last more than in the first – if it entertains me, I can easily overlook any glaring flaws. Of course, a show looking good helps, but that alone doesn't mean the show will be good as a whole.

Quote:
Having excellent animation never hurts, and in fact can make the difference between a good series and a great series.
I'd argue that Nichijou is the exception to that rule. It looked fantastic, but ultimately, the show didn't deliver and I still think it would have been better off in the hands of a 'lesser' studio (preferably SHAFT, given that making random, quirky comedies seems to be their forte).

Quote:
Would a series like Chuunibyou be this highly praised if it had the same animation quality as Little Busters? Somehow I don't think so.
I think this is a case of a self-fulfilling prophecy. We expect it to be bad, because KyoAni isn't in charge of LB!. And when a highly criticized studio like J.C. Staff gets the job, it's almost like people want it to become bad, so they can say, "I told you KyoAni could do it better!"

I'll admit that I'm also guilty for hyping Chu2Koi due to KyoAni doing it, but I would have easily checked it out if another studio did it as well, and might be entertained just as easily, even if the end product would have been totally different.

Quote:
What really bothers me is that it's glaringly obvious J.C is putting minimal effort into this show when you compare it to their other series of the season (Sakurasou).
I've read that the flaws in Sakurasou are simply less obvious, (partially) because it's not as hyped as LB! is. It definitely is more colorful than LB!, but more colorful does not a better animation make.

Quote:
What hurts even more is thinking about what this show could have been in the hands of that certain other studio.
Then maybe it's time to stop doing that, and accept that J.C. Staff is in charge. IMO, it's pointless to think about what might have been; it's not gonna happen in the foreseeable future, so why dwell on it?