View Single Post
Old 2011-12-24, 17:10   Link #109
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Ikuhara, on the other hand, end up siding with Kanba, "vindicating" his obsessive and selfish attend to get what he wants, as misguided and unhealthy as it was.
I don't think Ikuhara ever sided with Kanba, but he was trying to make a point. Something we saw throughout the story were people who had received some form of emotional abuse from their parents (or the adults who were raising them), and were constantly nurtured by desires, obsessions and goals of those adults. This is pretty much symbolised be it by the child broiler or by the boxes we saw Kanba and Shōma in.

The key to be able to break away from the child broiler or the boxes, as we saw, was love (whether it served merely as emotional comfort, as a purpose or some other things). Shōma was saved by Kanba, who in turned was saved by Himari who in turned was saved by Shōma (and thereby the name of the series - the penguindrum that goes round). Other than them, you also have Tabuki and Yuri who were saved through Momoka's actions.

But here's the thing, whilst love is nice and all, it also had a not-so-nice impact when it came down to people trying to protect what they held dear, or to recover it. We saw Yuri and Tabuki doing dubious things to try to revive Momoka, and you had Kanba doing the things he did to protect Himari. They were all trying to protect or save what they treasured, even if they had to have the world burn. After going through tough times that made them lose sight of their own value and then finally being able to find that value and interest in life after it was given back to them through the actions of some other person, I think it was understandable (though not necessarily excusable) they took the actions we saw in the show.

To make this simpler, I don't think Ikuhara sided with Kanba, or Tabuki or Yuri, but he simply showed what would people who have been either marginalised, or abused do to protect what is precious to them.