Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Free!
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-05, 13:24   Link #580
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Okay this argument is getting silly. For one I know from both Enzo and Reckoner's posts on other threads that they don't think guys should only act by a set perimeter of masculinity.

I have a lot of issues with many of what male anime fans have said about Free!, Fujoshi, and women shows in general. I never felt anything sexist from any of Enzo's and Reckoner's comments. I think this is really just an issue of miscommunication.

However I disagree with them that the characters act like middle school girls or like any girls I know. Do I think they are realistic portrayals of guys? Well no I absolutely don't.

The guys in Free! are meant to appeal to female fantasies. I am not necessarily saying they are my fantasies lol but just like the girls in KON! (the oft cited example in this thread) appeal to male fantasies, it is the same for the guys in Free! And yes many of the same tropes appeal to both genders.

They are tropes not realistic portrayals of teenage boys or girls. They aren't meant to be.
Often times I prefer to keep out of discussions like the one going on in this thread, but Kirarakim often puts my exact thoughts out there for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
While I respect where the more critical viewers are coming from, I also have to wonder just what they were expecting with this show. It's a fujoshi-focused show by KyoAni, and it comes with everything that entails.

Were some people actually expecting this to be The Legend of the Galactic Swimmers?
^This.