View Single Post
Old 2010-04-23, 12:25   Link #8753
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
If we discount the death of personality trick, none of those present can be Beatrice-2, except a potential double Rosa, that is. Notice that the red says '間違いなく死んでいる', 'machigai naku shin deiru' ("definitely dead is") without actually mentioning a name or even saying who is the one dead. Naturally, the body is 'on screen' at the time, so there's little wiggle room. There is a very short and subtle hint a double Rosa might exist, when Rosa's name, mentioned in red, is for an obscure reason in quotes. But that would indeed assume a double as per Knox, for which the hints are a bit too ephemeral and insufficient.
With this argument you could state that none of Battler's "I acknowledge it" red truth has any meaning. Context has to be relevant, else my trust in Ryukishi would be totally shattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
But still, this red and the Kinzo conversation scene do not preclude the possibility of Beatrice-2 dying much later than Rosa saw her die. Notice that Captain Kawabata reports ferrying goods to Kuwadorian up until 1968. Which means he has to have stopped something like a year after Beatrice-2 is supposed to have been dead, as Rosa initially agrees with Rudolf's estimate of 20 years and then, in the torture scene, explicitly says 19.

I suspect this is important somehow, though I can't claim I know how, yet.
It would be very unrealistic if Kawabata remembered the exact date after 29 years. He does say about 30 years, which clearly shows he's not telling a precise time. Same with Rudolf, and Rosa also makes very clear that she doesn't remember the precise date. I see nothing strange.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote