View Single Post
Old 2008-09-07, 17:41   Link #2085
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Ranka had been given a lot of options. More so than Sheryl ever had in the show's entirety. Sheryl had one thing, her career, but otherwise nothing. Ranka had everything, friends, family, career, and even mysterious powers that nobody else had. Throughout the show, we saw her steadily climbing up the social ladder, but never really fallen. Yet, when she encountered a slight setback, she faltered almost immediately. To many of us, she had taken her success, as with everything else, for granted. As if what she possessed throughout this entire series were hers by default, but she can not deal with a little disagreement (to put it nicely). Then she made a relatively irrational choice at the end of 21. It was a decision seemingly made on the go, without the consultation of those around her, even leaving her best friend behind without saying goodbye. While she left notes for Ozma and informed Alto at the last minute, she made no such effort to leave anything for Nanase, who had been a staunch (perhaps too much) supporter for her throughout the series. Perhaps she made the right decision by going to the Vajra home world, unfortunately, she also picked the worst time to do so, and at the end, left Alto confused to the excess. Yet, we were never told why she wanted to go to the Vajra planet.

Sheryl on the other hand, fell from grace in one of the most dramatic way I've yet seen in fiction. In addition to a frail body, she had nothing else but herself (although at this time, she at least has Alto) and her songs. Moreover, unlike Ranka, she never took the world or anyone and anything around her for granted. Nonetheless, Sheryl's determination allowed her to climb back up from point zero with her own two feet, and to resume the position as yousei of, at least this time, Frontier.

You also have to understand that this is a woman deceived from childhood to become a weapon. It was unfortunate that the experiment gone terribly wrong. Yet, she never complaint about her situation even after learning the truth. She was shocked, yes, but she continued facing each day with fierce determination and as much positive outlook as she can muster. She knew her life was short and she had nothing, but that did not stop her from continuing living without entering a state of depression. She remained a person who exercised logic, not only did she fought on in face of certain death, she also demonstrated that through her selflessness, she still cared for others around her and the person she loves. It was clear that Mike, and especially Klan, found her qualities to be most admirable. We too, found her qualities to be most admirable.

- Tak
Welcome back Tak. I was starting to worry.

Shipping, it's a nasty business. So easy to allow oneself to be engulfed in that realm of pointlessness.

Yeap, I completely concur with this brief outlook at both of these characters. Sheryl is one in a million. Ranka, on the other hand, has obvious faults. I suppose we can spot those faults in her because we are able to identify such faults in ourselves. She has been a likable character (for me anyway), but she has, nonetheless, failed to rise to the many occasion presented to her (as you've already pointed out). However, she is coming around as indicated in the recent episode.... coughtwentyonecough... The immature girl who has acted consistently along with her age thus far actually made a decision which is inconsistent to her character. She is trying to raise herself above the mutual destruction and hatred these two species, Humans and Vajras, are engaged in. Shockingly, she is willing to go through this particular route even if it may cost the affection of the person she has been striving for all this time. How about that!? Gosh, this teenager might grow into a woman before this series ends after all.

Once again, as you've already pointed out, the difference between Sheryl and Ranka is that Sheryl wouldn't have struggled to make a decision if she had the same knowledge as Ranka was privileged with about the Vajraa. Sheryl would also have made the decision to go to the root of the problem, to the Vajraa world, without waiting until the 21 episode even if it caused inconvenience to Kawamori. That's the charm of this woman. She is so darn positive in her outlook at life. An inspiration, really. Ranka, on the other hand, is just an average, self-conscious kid who can easily be dictated by others. So, when those average people rise out of the mediocrity, it tends to put a smile on people that recognize the special occasion. That's why I personally like her character.

Sheryl is a goddess. Ranka is someone who is breaking out of the mold of the average. *Hopefully, the progression made in Ranka's character won't see a reset.*

Once again, good read, Tak!