View Single Post
Old 2010-05-05, 16:43   Link #378
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
You are still missing the point: why do people have to focalize on the mass media brand definition of a term? It isn't like you have to stick with the purest definition of a term to label something.
Heck, there are figures of speech and whatnot. Furthermore, you are asking something too much from a setup regarding -japanese- high schoolers... you know, the very same ethnic group that can picture americans like bunch of blonde muscle yankee, as much as some americans can only picture asians as computer nerds.
I'm using an exaggerated example, but things cannot be taken as their fullest definition, when it is all about what people consider with it.

And you are starting to be extremely picky for nothing: the setup shows bunch of dead people stuck in a high school environnement, with a nonsensical need to fulfill a high school life until they ascend. They even eat and sleep... so let me ask you something: why would they get surprised that a spiritual being would fulfill the same kind of little fancy need, while they are plain souls that should "theorically" need no food or rest?

And for the last time: they believed that Kanade had a tie with God, and the usual "entity" that has such tie is an angel, that doesn't mean they considered Kanade literally as an Angel.
I'm fully aware that I'm overanalyzing this but I just wanted to point out some of the flaws in the writing(it's a hobby of mine).

The main reason I brought up the traditional definition is because I'm trying to establish what would be common sense for the characters and what would be natural assumptions as well as conclusions. Would a person who entered Tenshi's room or watched her on a daily basis be surprised at how human she behaves? Especially over an extremely long time period? Would a person who is a spiritual being (and know they are) not act surprised over the need of sleep and food?

You're also assuming that they're in heaven or some supernatural dimension. It's still quite possible that this could turn out to be something else completely.

They are assuming that she got her powers directly or indirectly from God,so they would be assuming she's an Angel(most likely a warrior angel at that) whether they used the term or not.