View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 22:07   Link #145
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus View Post
I'm aware of its importance. Being a tool of measuring, what it measures is of immense value, pretty much the worth of humans.
And do you think it does that effectively? Do the Enforcers on the police force strike you as having "less worth" than other human beings? Heck, a case could be made that Kougami has proven himself invaluable to this world. His wits and keen mind have thus far kept bad situations from spiraling completely out of control.

Quote:
It'd indeed be indispensable right away if it were to arrive tomorrow.
How can something be indispensable if it never existed before? Clearly it's not "indispensable" or society would not have functioned without it.

Quote:
However, the director herself says that it's not as easy as letting drones roam the streets with dominators. It's not as simple as that. This is where our guys come in. And that is also why an inspector on her first day can oppose the practiced norm and can still get away with it. Maybe some individuals treat it as a religion but not the ministry if we're to believe what they said and did.
The ministry is absolutely treating it like a system that must appear perfect at all times. Otherwise, there would be more fail-safes in place (such as the Enforcers having old-fashioned hand guns at their disposal, which they clearly do not enjoy). The only logical reason for such fail-safes not being in place is that the ministry must be worried that Joe Average Citizen seeing a cop wielding an old-fashioned handgun could undermine his faith in the Sybil system.

'If Sybil is perfect, then the Dominators should be perfect, so why do we need these old anarchistic, obsolete guns?' - This is the thought the average citizen might have if they caught Akane or Kougami with an old-fashioned gun in their hands. At least, that's what I think the ministry is worried about.

So Sybil is being treated as a god of sorts. It's being treated as something the average citizen should have complete faith in. So the smallest inconsistency, the tiniest contradiction, can not be tolerated.

I suspect (though admittedly don't know) that Sybil was sold as this perfect system to the public. If I'm right, it was sold this way since it deals with life and death decisions on a regular basis, so people would naturally expect it to be infallible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
The problem is not the system, but the human itself. With the Sybil-system humans tried to throw away their responsibilities of judging one's action.
I find it odd how you, Dengar, and some others blame people for this, and absolve the system entirely of it, when the system itself implicitly (if not explicitly) encourages humans to "throw away their responsibilities of judging one's action".

That's the whole point of Psycho-Pass readings, isn't it? To know and feel that everybody around you is a good, law-abiding citizen without criminal potential whatsoever and so you don't have to bother with assessing them at all? I mean, isn't that basically what Gino himself said to Akane in this episode?

And the Dominator very clearly reinforces this by not allowing even professional law enforcement officers to shoot people unless Sibyl gives the go-ahead to do so (and even then, Sibyl determines if its a lethal shot or a paralyzing one).

Isn't it obvious that one of the main features of the system itself is people giving up the responsibility and need to assess other people; giving that up to Sibyl so that's one less thing they have to worry about in life?

And you know, now that I think about it, this is another reason why Sybil has to be seen as flawless. An implicit social contract has been made between humans and Sybil. That contract, from the human side, is "I'm not going to worry about strangers, because I can trust Sybil to take care of them. All I need to care about is myself, and those closest to me. That's it. I need never worry about crime, political corruption, poverty, disadvantaged minorities, or anybody I don't personally know - Because I can safely trust that Sybil will perfectly look after them."

And I'll even admit that I can see why some would find that appealing (although personally I don't). But it can only be appealing if the individual citizen can in fact trust Sybil completely. Once they can't, they need to start assessing other people again. Once the human judgement of law enforcement officers becomes a noticeable factor again, then that human judgement itself becomes open to necessary public scrutiny (not unlike, say, my fellow Canadians and I questioning a RCMP Officer that's a bit too trigger-happy with a taser).

Quote:
The only perfect solution to all this similar problems are not some changes in the form of how society looks like.
It must be a change within each individual, or should i say one must give it up for the system to become perfect.
The only solution is to transcend of what is known as a human by genetical engineering.
The character in this anime that came the closest to transcending what is known as a human was the Cyborg Hunter. Given his overall characterization, and what happened to him, I doubt that the theme of this show is "Sybil is great. We must transcend what is known as a human in order to match Sybil!"

Quote:
Reflecting on the real world and the situation right now, i think i would rather live under the Sybil-System.
I definitely would rather live in a world where me having one bad day isn't liable to get me ruled a latent criminal, and killed in the most gorey way possible by a law enforcement officer. I definitely would rather live in a world where I'm not implicitly encouraged to not care about anybody other than immediate family and close friends. I definitely would rather live in a world that respects human freedom and dignity, and hence doesn't judge people by some dubious mind scan readings.

Given the options, I'll stick with the real world, thank you.