View Single Post
Old 2013-05-19, 14:39   Link #4241
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Well one of the things I never like about Fate Stay/Night is the idea of having these routes from the start. I know sounds odd, and I really enjoy the Fate route and so far the UBW seems good enough (Still need to complete HF but I know how it ends). My problem with them is just that each route must exploit elements from the setting but at the price of not mentioning others. In Fate Caster is kill rather brutally and quick, Assassin vanishes without even appearing a second time and we focus more on Shirou and Saber. In UBW is the other way around and we focus on Rin and Archer. And is fine but my point will be sounds like if they come up with so many things that in the end they didn’t bother to use all the elements.

Each story focuses more on some of the setting and gives it development while ignoring or not even mention other elements. As we saw with Sakura in Fate, she might as well just fall down a hole because we lost her in a few moments and when we see the things in HF is not surprise one wonder how could we ignore this the first time? Is kind of odd and while a “What If” scenario might explain it still raises questions and can be criticize. I guess the idea of one of this routes being the “true” story of Fate/Stay Night is kind of personal preference. One can say anything about the anime adaptation but at least the try to balance some of the elements better and give each one a chance to explain and show their stories instead of just having characters die and never bother to tell us what was their deal. And yes, I know some things were missing but still.

So, about Sakura in the other routes… well kind of speaks by itself that in those she isn’t important. If each story can be the “right” one then in any other route that isn’t HF Sakura’s role isn’t as important and in Fate can be describe as anecdotic. So pick what you like. I don’t hate Sakura but, to be honest, after what I see in Fate and UBW I really don’t care about her either. Maybe HF will change my mind.