View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 13:06   Link #59
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If you believe in things like individual rights, empowering people, and governments that are held accountable, then democracy is a no-brainer, imo. As for myself, I believe in those things.
Of course I believe in things like basic human rights for everyone but my point is I don't think the form of government is the main problem in the human society.

A society can have a so called democracy and not be a better place. Heck you can technically have a democracy and not have human rights for all your citizens. Democracy technically means "the rule of the majority" and technically with a majority not everyone is represented .

Although personally I don't think the form of government is even what the story is criticizing here. Again I think we are just getting a glimpse of our own human history mirrored in this so called future world of ours (history repeats itself).

Quote:
It's better than the human society in SSY, imo.
But that is where I strongly disagree with you. I have not seen any indication that the Queer Rat society is better than the human society. I don't see this as a black & white conflict at all.

I am not saying the way the humans have treated the queer rats is right in any stretch of the word but they are certainly not taking the higher ground here.

Weapons are tools to free a slave race? Let's ignore the fact that they have also used these weapons on their own kind, the very fact that we are shown the weapons they are building have become more destructive, more horrible. Again I think I am missing how the queer rats are better? Because they didn't make the humans slaves? Is that because they don't believe in slavery? (We've been shown in the past that in other circumstances they made their own slaves as well).

I think the problem is we are looking at this differently because my theory about what is happening here is probably very different than yours. I don't see this as a story of slaves against their oppressors. I see it instead as tragedy that is supposed to give us a feeling of deja-vu. I could be very wrong and you could be right about the ultimate path the story is going to take but ultimately I don't think we are supposed to see either side as "right". I just feel an outsider watching a tragedy unfold.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-02-03 at 13:24.