Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post

Spoiler for continuing...probably tl;dr for everyone else:

=====

And since I went back to the J-wiki to check
Usami_Haru is actually correct wrt Japan (well, except perhaps for the 'subtext' bit. e.g. Uraboku has plenty of subtext...but it's a fantasy/adventure, not BL). This is one, 'narrow' usage that the term 'yaoi' has taken on in the Japanese fandom. Though it is (apparently) still used by some people as a way of distinguishing between titles with 'no peak, no point, no meaning' and titles that actually do have some substance other than the so-called 'yummy bits'. Most people just stop at 'BL' though, rather than breaking it down into smaller categories.
In the last post from you that I quoted, you said that Yaoi is predominantly aimed at female audiences, and the contradiction on the Yuri side was your comment on it not being shōnen or seinen. And Josei manga merely refers to the demographic; someone could very well be in their late teenage/adult years and have the mindset of a typical nine-year-old, or be a fujoshi. And if BL are too trite to be classified as Josei manga, keep in mind that it--Josei manga--can portray realistic relationships, but it does not always have to be. Finally, your posts in this thread came across to me as being critical; how one words things can make a difference between perceived as civil and not being viewed as such. And in actuality, I've been a yuricon for as long as I've been an otaku, which was part of the reason I made this thread. So I'm trying to put aside definition issues in favor of more general opinions. I did not and do not expect responses from more, er, versed people. In fact...
Quote:
If you mean 'explicit' as in not 'subtext' within another genre like fantasy/moe, then I agree.
Quote:
Well I don't think another particular genre is necessary, but you're about right. To my mind, BL or GL could be mistaken as just being "very intense friendship", while Yaoi/Yuri actually shows them in love, usually undertaking activities like kissing or sex of some kind. Or even just referring to the fact they're in love with one another.
...I actually do try to make that distinction, but I don't imagine others doing so. If I wanted more *AHEM* specialized answers, I would have asked somewhere else.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote