Thread: Licensed ef - a tale of memories.
View Single Post
Old 2007-12-06, 08:50   Link #1029
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling
Guilt's not a great reason to fall in love, is it? Miyako needs to present herself as somebody who can take care of herself. Hiro's focus, and one of Miyako's reasons for respecting Hiro, is his career as a mangaka. He can't exactly work on that if he has to spend all his time "looking only at Miyako". I agree with grey_moon that Miyako was setting herself up with that promise, on even more levels than simply the Kei x Hiro sibling relationship. I'm gonna have to wait to see how their relationship develops before I can really believe a 'happily ever after'.
She has never presented herself as anything less in front of Hiro though, nor do i consider her to be incapable of looking after herself. You are taking her words far too literally, as she is obviously not demanding of him to sit in a corner staring at her all day long. Nor would Hiro working on manga produce anything of sort she is afraid of. It is just a romanticist way of her asking to be the first person in his heart. It is more about reassuring herself than anything else, nor is it anything unreasonable to ask. It should be a given anyways when you are going out with someone, so i am afraid i don't see the impending doom in her words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
No straw man here. I pointed out specifically the statements I was attacking: "what goes around comes around", "karma", actions "backfiring", "deserved" punishment.

I don't consider myself to be on the 'losing team' because I acknowledged that Miyako was going to get Hiro from pretty much the start. I do feel a bit sore because the show is currently portraying a MiyaHiro relationship I consider incomplete while deliberately making Kei suffer in a way that would encourage MiyaHiro fanboyism (edit: in light of Liingo's post above, yes I can see the narrative irony, I guess. I still disapprove overall). I'm not going to be defending Kei all that ardently at this point because I can see that deliberation, and will rather be looking to the show to demonstrate some resolution for MiyaHiro which I can be satisfied with (in contrast to most other people here, who consider their development essentially concluded at this point).
I don't quite think acknowledging that Miyako is going to win from the start puts anyone outside of the "losing/winning team". Whether you intend to or not, your posts and point of view seem pro-Kei with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, and in this situation complaining about shallow fanboyism and the wrongtm point of view people are adapting to the situation leaves the impression of pot calling the kettle black.

You are demanding equality(?) where there is none, and can't be simply because we have different people in different situations, and the show has never been implying otherwise. You are demanding from people to feel sympathy for Kei and Apathy towards Miyako for reasons of your own (that end up favoring Kei as far as i can tell), and claiming it to be the balanced point of view at things, and everybody else to be shallow and biased at their perspective. The fact you are referring to seemingly everyone with a different viewpoint from yours and labeling it as wrong is bound to leave people annoyed. Calling vaguely everyone wrong is an easy accusation to make, but that alone doesn't make your position any more credible either.

Quote:
My point really is that theirs (yours?) is a hollow victory. Yes, Kei has been slapped in the face with the reality of MiyaHiro. She can start moving on. This fact, however, does not in any way mean that MiyaHiro are done and now a perfect happy couple that everybody can just "awwww" over. There is still more to be said there (by god I hope so). Everybody going "Yes! Miyako wins!" just looks ridiculous in my opinion. Kei was barely in the running in the first place.
Now this i can agree with to a degree (though this is hardly a "victory", since there was never much of a competition) - there is bound to be some final hurdle for the relationship to step over, and issues with Kei will demand resolution as well, that may possibly stir something up between Hiro and Miyako for a while. This was not the point you were making earlier though.