View Single Post
Old 2010-02-22, 10:19   Link #7078
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Code Geass tried to make it's characters seem human?

Is this the same Code Geas where the hero basically comes off as worse than the Axs Powers? Is this the same Code Geass which protrayed the Britannians as goofy racist people so people don't give a crap when Lelouch "heroically" tells them to kill themselves? At one point the hero brainwashes thousands of people so that he can use them to basically kill themselves for him.
Clovis experimented on humans and ordered a massacre. He also loved his family. He only became that person because he left his family to try and honor two deceased siblings.

Cornelia was the same. An aggressive military leader, who expected much from her subordinates and also ordered a massacre. She as well loved her family and didn't like taking credit for an accomplishment her subordinates make.

Jeremiah was an extremely racist thug. He was also loyal to the point of being willing to die for his charge, even after that charge effectively ruined his life and cost him his very humanity.

Does this make them good people? No. Does this make them more than one-dimendional foils? I happen to think so.

As for Lelouch, this depends on how you interpret his character. I happen to follow the "closet philanthropist" interpretation and so do not consider him even remotely on par with the Axis Powers and can infact say he was heroic. As well, I was comparing things based on the first season (as I said above). I agree that ZR was a senseless atrocity (both in and out of story) and by all rights should be called Character Derailment, only escaping the label because the creators insist it isn't.

Quote:
It's pretty clear that neither Taniguchi or Okouchi saw the world of Code Geass as a fleshed out world or they wouldn't have witten Lelouch as the bastard he was. Compare that to say the Wheel of Time where you saw that Jordan actually did see the world he created as a fleshed out world, he wrote the characters as if they where actually alive, and talked about tragedies as if they actually happened in real life.
Never read Wheel of Time, but they did infact take steps to flesh out the CG world. Perhaps not to the extent others fictional series do, but there was a fairly rich history and good amount of side material.

Quote:
Now compare that to Lelouch killing 100,000 innocent people by blowing up Mt. Fuji. With Lelouch Taniguchi and Okouchi still saw him as the hero even after the atrocities where commited simply because they never cared about the atrocities that where commited. I cared more about Code Geass than they did.
Again, I was referencing the first season, not the second. As far as I'm concerned, Megiddo is the real second season.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote