View Single Post
Old 2012-12-04, 15:57   Link #66
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
It's irrational to push someone to do something they clearly don't want just because they are good at it and you feel they are "wasting" their potential. That's not up to others to decide and there's no rule saying they have to simply do what comes easy to them.

As for friends and family supporting an endeavor, I should have clarified that. It's not about insisting or dictating that they should support you. To me, it's just natural (or ideal) that the people close to you would want to see you happy and support the path you choose. Clearly that's not always the case.
As general rules of thumb, I get what you're saying, and I basically agree with it.

But like what Sumeragi said, we're discussing the ungeneral here. We're discussing the exceptional case.

We're not talking about someone that's merely "good" at something. We're talking world-class talent here (that's definitely the impression I'm getting anyway).

I mean, it can't be that hard to see how it's painful to see someone that's absolutely brilliant in a particular field choose instead to be average-to-pretty good in another field.

Imagine if KyoAni decided tomorrow that they were going to turn into a video game company. Their first two video games were Ok, not bad, but they're not exactly Mass Effect 2 or Modern Warfare.

A couple years down the line, I can understand anime fans thinking "Man, do I ever miss the old KyoAni. Instead of making average video games they used to make absolutely kickass anime!"

Edit: I basically agree with what wontaek wrote above. Painting vs. manga doesn't necessarily have to be an either or.