Thread: Umi no Misaki
View Single Post
Old 2007-05-19, 08:58   Link #7
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
NO real woman can measure up to her and if you think you know of one or have heard of one who can you are sadly mistaken.
Shrug. Sure, she is an idealized fantasy girl, and totally unrealistic. That doesn't make her a "Magical Girlfriend" in my eyes, it just makes her unrealistic.

Of course, no there are no "official" definitions of fan terminology like "magical girlfriend" or "harem comedy" so the terms can be kind of slippery at times. Just looking at the wiki definition:

Quote:
A magical girlfriend (魔法彼女, mahou kanojo) is a bishōjo character often associated with romantic comedy anime series; however, the genre is said to ultimately have its origins in Japanese fandoms for the American sitcoms Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. As their name implies, magical girlfriends typically have unusual powers compared to regular people, magical or otherwise.
Admittely, Wiki is hardly the final authority and is in fact nothing but a collection of user inputed information so that is just what someone else wrote there, but that's the way I use the term. To my mind, in order to be a magical girlfriend, the girl needs to be... well magical, not just oddly competant or unrealisticly devoted.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote