View Single Post
Old 2010-06-26, 12:33   Link #249
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Alright, I've recovered since I saw the anime at 3 am. Now to make more coherent sense....

Anyhow, the antics for the graduation were not bad, and as usual we have a lot of cuteness from Yuri and Kanade. Yuri's acting a bit different but that's because she's finally relaxed and almost done with this world. It's fine, since she's no longer at war. I'd really like her to have more resolution to her, but that's fine.

Of course, the bad part was everyone else disappearing off screen. I really believe they could have been loyal enough to wait a bit longer and take a bigger risk. It would have been so much better if they were a large group just leaving together and you kinda wonder what the point of it was.

So they disappear, not too bad. But the Otonanshi suddenly goes back on his shit and wants to stay behind. WAT? Now, I do realize the sudden revelation does really affect one's mind and maybe he just realized it too late, but the confession just came out at the wrong place. and wrong timing and made him look kinda selfish. Though, then again, maybe it was time for him to be selfish.

Now, I actually like the heart twist. It felt very sweet and I can feel for them. All these feelings being hidden along were revealed and it was quite emotional-- it also explains the title and makes the story kinda go full circle from a certain perspective. Problem was the way she disappeared and had Otonashi standing around made it seem way too bitter-- the story seemed to be missing a step and reminds of an ending to another anime's season. Yes, the very end shows happiness in the next life, and the credits shows that otonashi disappears too, but there's something missing here. I felt as left out before the credits as I did when I watched the ending of season 1 to Umineko... and Angel Beats is supposed to end here. Gah.

5/10 There's some genuinely good stuff here, like the feelings between Kanade and Yuzuru, and Hinata was great here as well. Unfortunately for every good thing this episode does, it also did something equally as bad to cancel it out. All I can say is good idea, terrible execution. It just landed with a thud and that's just not the way to go.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews