View Single Post
Old 2012-11-19, 16:15   Link #204
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As of Ep6, I have had to revise my view of the Sibyl System. A great deal of my defence for the system rests on its assumed ability to reliably detect latent criminals. It turns out that it is no more reliable than the real-life systems we have today, and that ought to have raised the hue and cry in this fictional world but, surprisingly, it hasn't.
I wonder if it's because if people start being tempted to "raise the hue and cry", they take pills. And if they don't, are... dealt with.

I also wonder what the existence of Makishima implies. That it's possible to live within the system's blind spots, certainly. But he must have been examined at some point in the past, as a child if nothing else, and came up negative. Was that a false negative? Was he already thinking about escape back then? Or did he decide and implement, all within that one year between annual checks?

Though I don't think the existence of false negatives is as damning for the system as that of false positives, and how would you find one of those?