View Single Post
Old 2008-01-02, 14:52   Link #26
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I voted 7, but it's more like 7,5/10. It would have been 9,5 if it wasn't for the last arc which I wish I hadn't watched as it did not seem consistent with the rest of the show at all.

The solutions to big mysteries are usually disappointing as people tend to either be pissed they got it wrong or think it was a too easy mystery, or that the writer cheated them by not giving enough clues. I for one was happy that I got the mastermind right but quite a few details bugged me. That said, generally the mystery element of the series was utterly enjoyable and is actually my favourite part of the show.

The character development was good, if undermined by not enough screentime for some of them, but was somewhat too melodramatic for my taste. The point about the importance of friendship was presented as subtly as a blow with a sledgehammer. Moe Rika and especially moe Hanyuu really, really got on my nerves. And the latter, very much unlike the former, is utterly unconvincing when she tries to be serious or scary.
Giving so much time to the development of the villain was a great thing, even though I was kind of disappointed by the personality of the said villain in the end.

Quote:
You can't be disturbed when a character gets tortured to death if you never liked the character to begin with
Very true, this exact thing happened to me quite a few times when watching Higurashi.

Voice acting: Brilliant, except when Hanyuu tries to be serious. Enough said.

Quote:
I honestly dislike happy endings. They feel way too contrived and forced. Escapism isn't about getting away from reality for me, it's more about immersion, the whole "what if this actually happened" deal.
Well, I lean towards this opinion myself but it's very much possible for happy endings to not feel contrived and forced. Unfortunately this is not the case with Higurashi Kai at all.