Old 2010-03-08, 19:17   Link #36
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanonTheFurniture View Post
So I've got a question.

Why does everyone hate George so much?

I mean I can understand that there are some characters that just don't become popular, and others that are kinda universally hated for somewhat obvious reasons (ex. Sasuke from Naruto), but I just don't understand the George hatred that seems so very prominent. I'll admit he was never one of my favorites, but I've always been sorta neutral to him...but it feels like most of the people I talk to about Umineko hate him for reasons I don't understand.

I'll bite that until EP4 he doesn't do much of anything terribly interesting...but you could say the same for a number of characters, and then there are others who are popular for entirely baffling reasons (Gohda? Srsly). What exactly established George as a 'nerd' or a 'loser' or, Hell, fat? The VN specifically notes him as being pretty average (I think Shannon's comment about Hideyoshi's genes means he could end up getting fat, there's really nothing to imply he's overweight), Ryukishi's art just makes everyone look chubby - Ange, for instance. He's made out to be this unpopular fat kid who no one wants to play with on the playground in the fandom. ...why?

In-series, he's admired by his cousins, the parents all want their kids to turn out like him, and I feel like most of the moments he's had have shown he has a very strong and dedicated personality, but without being wild and rash - such as his rage over his parents' deaths in EP1, but knowing it's the duty of the police to solve the case. His answer to the test in EP4 is a great example of this, too, as his dedication to be with Shannon literally no matter what, even if it means having to slaughter the entire family for the sake of their happiness. I was quite surprised when I first played EP4, because I expected him to give the same answer as Jessica, and felt I had underestimated his strength of will.

So yeah, even if his l33t kung-fu skillz aren't for real (or are severely exaggerated by MAGIC SCENE), George is a respectable enough character. Is he favorite caliber? Not to me personally, since there are so many other characters who shine much more than him, but I don't understand what he did to earn the hate. It's especially strange to me when Anime!George is fangirl bait, and yet even Studio DEEN themselves seem to hate him. Is it just that a handful of people decided George wasn't cool, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon? Or is there really some answer to this question that I'm just not seeing?

I'm just curious, because it's been bugging me.
I've never noticed a lot of George hate... what I have noticed was indifference towards his character but that's about it.

I personally don't like his character very much, but only because he bores me so much. Same with Shannon... and since they're a couple, it kinda makes them both super boring to watch/read about for me. ^^;