View Single Post
Old 2013-01-05, 20:21   Link #1786
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belise View Post
The point she brought up about how they are all basically forgetting all the burst linkers they trampled to get to lv.9 and all the enjoyment/experiences each one of them had personally taken away.
"What do you mean, you want to stop murdering each other? You murdered hundreds before, why is it suddenly a bad thing now?"

For all her words, Kuroyukihime herself regrets killing Red Rider. It makes sense that Red Rider regretted all of the other players he might have deleted on his way to the top.

But you should also check out my "BB Rules and Speculation" thread, where I explain that the Accelerated World used to be a very different place.

What I might not have said is that in the early days, no one would have had any idea that people who lost Brain Burst also lost their memories of it. The first generation had no Parents, and it would have been a while before any Burst Linkers started to find and befriend each other in the physical world.

What's more, that wasn't originally a big deal. If a Burst Linker gets eliminated a few weeks after getting started, he loses maybe a week's worth of memories regarding a virtual world which will usually have zero impact on his life in the physical world.

Compare that to the death of Red Rider. This is a guy from the first generation, who has been playing the game for five years. Given the subjective amounts of time he would have spent in the Unlimited Neutral Field, he would have lived at least twice as much as his physical age. Losing Brain Burst cost him half of his life's experiences.

Further, Brain Burst was more than just a game to him, because he'd made a relationship with Purple Thorn. A relationship that might very well have entered the physical world and impacted Rider's normal life. But how much of that relationship survived the loss of his memories?

That's the thing that really makes Brain Burst more than a game, and which makes eliminating other players isn't heinous.

The superhuman powers aren't the really important thing gained or lost: It's the life experiences. Losing all of one's memories of Brain Burst cripples and mutilates the person a Linker had become.

Or maybe it doesn't. Maybe Noumi is just faking it because he doesn't remember any reason to prey upon Haru and Chiyu. Maybe character growth experienced because of Brain Burst sticks around, even if you don't remember.

Quote:
Who wants to play a game you love and stop right before the ending (usually the best part anyway), then keep playing it for years and years?
Red Rider: If I lose, I forget my girlfriend. If she loses, she forgets me. If the game ends, and the whole thing disappears, will we remember each other?

Besides which, personal victory isn't the only reason to play a game. For some people, the point of a game is playing with others.

People who want to play with others are not going to be keen on making everyone else lose the game just because they wanted to be the number one winner.

Further, not many games end permanently for all players when one person wins. World of Warcraft is still on-line even when people beat Arthas. A Pac-Man booth doesn't shut down and burn out if someone passes the final level. Candyland doesn't suddenly burst into flames after someone crosses the finish line.

Games are meant to be played, and if anyone really feared that the greatest game in the world would cease to exist if someone "won", most people would avoid "winning".

Besides that, all of the Kings knew each other. Even when individuals among them were not friends, most of them were spirited rivals with each other.

You know what the best part of a good rivalry is? The rematch!

Red Rider and Blue Knight had probably had great fun killing each other and swearing to kill each other again before they became Level 9. But now, suddenly, they might actually get rid of each other for good?

Why the heck would they want to do that? They loved to fight each other, they respected each other and the effort each had invested, the strength each other had gained. Why destroy that?
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote