Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-14, 21:28   Link #3339
cedec0

Quote:
Liking Shizuno aside, I don't think anyone could look at that ending and call it "good" from a technical perspective, so I don't see the point of the backlash against people voicing such sentiments. It's all a matter of believability and consistency.
Actually, liking/not liking Shizuno is directly relevant to the "believability and consistency" of the ending.

Quote:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool

Rule of Cool

The limit of the Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a given element is directly proportional to the element's awesomeness.

Stated another way, all but the most pedantic of viewers will forgive liberties with reality as long as the result is wicked sweet or awesome. This applies to the audience in general; there will naturally be a different threshold for each individual.

The Rule Of Cool is another principle that seeks to dispel arguments among fans over implausibility in fiction. It has been cited by animation director Steve Loter (of Kim Possible, Clerks: The Animated Series, Tarzan, and American Dragon Jake Long) in response to questions from fans attempting to justify temporary breaches in logical consistency. It is a complement to Bellisario's Maxim and the MST3K Mantra.
An example of the rule of cool (at least it was for me) was Saki removing her socks for the first time. "removing your socks" is probably the silliest and most unrealistic way of "powering up" that I have ever seen (even compared to tacos and Etopen), but it was ok because it was cool (Saki defeating Koromo was awesome).

However, if Saki had been hated the way Shizu is hated, there most likely would have been endless comments here calling her victory an asspull (because the "removing your socks" wasn't foreshadowed, etd...)

Because Shizu is hated, Achiga-hen's "believability and consistency" is being held up to an abnormally high standard.

--------

The point I am trying to make is that, in any manga where the main character is hated, fans will find endless flaws in the story.

--------

Last edited by cedec0; 2013-03-14 at 21:49.
cedec0 is offline   Reply With Quote