Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 18:45   Link #2269
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have to admit that it seems odd to me to be blasting the show for this when it's first two arcs made it very clear what it was truly aiming for.
It's not what people are expecting; it's what the show itself brings up and then ignores or "disarms". The abusive father in this last episode is a very good example. He's almost always off-screen. Stylistically a distant threat. Then we get a vague summary (the "I heard you say Thank you" part), that falls flat because I just don't feel it. The problem is that a seasoned viewer of drama you can imagine what they're going for. But it doesn't work if you spare out the actual drama, focussing on the making up. It's like making an action movie, and then, when the fights begin, you cut away, and you see them bruised and recovering.

I thought the show was pretty strong, actually, when the core-cast was facing a crisis together. For example, I felt that the scene when they had to decide who was going to die in Iori's body was fairly strong and really showed the characters' differences. When it comes to being heartwarming, the show fails big-time, for me, mostly because it's ignoring the troubles too much. Most of the moments that are designed to make me feel good for the characters get a huge eye-roll from me. (Iori's decision not to do things over in this epsiode is straight out of the text-book for be-yourself propaganda.)

If the show were bad, I wouldn't have stuck with it so far. But much too often it just doesn't deliver.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote