View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 06:17   Link #31890
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I can't deny that the anime has a bad reputation in the fandom or that it is lacking as an adaptation, but I have to say that the anime was my first introduction to Umineko, and I really enjoyed it. I doubt I would have ever played the VN if I hadn't liked the anime so much.
Also, the Umineko VN had a much larger following when the adaptation was made in 2009. Higurashi was an unknown little game that nobody besides VN readers had paid much attention to, then the anime adaptation came out and it was all the rage.
Voices from the fanbase regarding how bad an adaptation the first season of Higurashi was were present, but they were few in comparison to the many newcomers, of whom many went on and became readers of Umineko.

I would say, by comparison Higurashi season 1 was the worse adaptation, but the superior anime in and of itself. It was not left with that much a cliffhanger (though still pretty big) and managed to characterize at least it's main cast to a certain degree. Umineko managed to cram everything of major importance into that one season, but basically cast all characterization and atmosphere aside in several places. It serves it's purpose as an introduction or reminder, but doesn't do that much as a work on it's own.
Higurashi on the other hand managed to leave almost all major hints out of the anime and made it way more complicated than it needed to be.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote