View Single Post
Old 2011-07-22, 12:08   Link #3338
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave The Pieces View Post
Simply because, it's what the majority of the fans want. Now that is just sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna
As far as strong female characters go, I don't think they're popular in Japan (and as we all know, only Japan matters ). I'm basing this assumption on popularity polls. In Sailor Moon, Mercury was the most popular character (wtf). In Naruto, Hinata is arguably more popular than Sakura.
I wonder about this. Obviously a LOT of japanese prefer moeblobs (is this why soma had to be slaughtered??), and I can understand the average girl who is pretty bubble-headed preferring girls like Ranka, Meyrin, Luna, the twilight brat etc. based on the Mary Sue concept that you just project your own head onto them.
So if the majority of the audience/ buyers is this type of person, and let's face it, there are millions of them... it all goes down the drain.

But I had this understanding that there was a slow but sure shift away from this 8as viewers become more demanding/ intelligent). I've always preferred the strong characters in shows, who were most likely side-characters. Nowadays, we see some of these types taking centre stage instead:
Sheryl would NEVER have become the main lead/ winner of any triangle anywhere 10 years ago. Moeblob Ranka would've won easily. I think producers were surprised themselves, how the viewers (even in Japan) rejected her, and that's why the show evolved iirc?
Was so proud =)

Utena, obviously, a classic strong female lead, who beats out the likes of Sailor Mercury (WTF?? Seriously. when we were kids, we thought she was the most useless idiot of the group and everyone hated her xD), and well, everyone else out there.

Relena was way ahead of her time though, hence the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Even a chimpanzee with one arm wouldn't look bad as a pilot compared to a person that almost got herself killed because she DANCED OFF A CLIFF. >_>
hahahahahahahhahahaaha THAT scene. I pushed it out of my memory. I liked Stellar's design. I wish she had gotten a chance to be a good pilot/ not braindead. Also because I really like her suit.

Quote:
Seconded. And Dorothy would of course pilot the Hackatsuki. It's got her name practically written all over it. xD
Hilde would get Lunamaria's and Sally... Hmm, I wonder what Sally would do. Certainly not command the Eternal, unless you want the ship rammed into GENESIS. Man, I wanna spoof this.
Ohhh yesss. Please. Someone make it happen=) Give Sally that horrible Orb ship Cagalli had, she can ram it into whatever she wants, no harm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave The Pieces View Post
Both chicks got derailed.[/I];
Quote:
And in Gundam, Lacus always ranks higher than Cagalli.
About Lacus. Sorry, I'm trying to structure this post,so it won't be a novel in length. it's somehow not working so well.

Tbh, I can still understand Lacus being popular AND being a strong character. True, she's completely derailed and horrible by the beginning of GSD.
When you use Seed as an example, I can see why people would prefer per to Cagalli, simply because the latter often seems helpless, basic and irrelevant in comparison to Lacus who wields some kind of supreme political power and is a great public speaker.
Imo, it's her speeches that lull you into liking her, and make you disregard everything else. Haro helps too.

I'm not going to argue that Lacus went horribly wrong, and my greatest desire is to see her go psycho evil on everyone,at least for a while, because it would be awesome. She would be SUCH a good final boss.
Cagalli had her moments, and in Seed, arguably was the better character, but her less interesting exterior and less flashy displays of power don't work in her favour as long as the director and writer are morons anyway. They could've easily brought her through as the favourite of fans, if they had wanted to.

Thing about Seed is, neither of them are bad characters per se. I like the idea of Lacus. The execution sucks, but...
She isn't completely bad imo, just what IS bad is SO bad that we can't see past it without really ignoring a lot of key plot points.

edit: haha, i got an anonymous neg rep saying "so/marie moeblobs?"- i don't care, but let me elaborate, as I feel misrepresented/ misquoted. Soma was a strong personality, feisty, focussed, no-nonsense and all around pretty awesome. Possibly THE coolest girl in 00. She wasn't even brainwashed, She was trained as a supersoldier, yeah. But she wasn't unhappy or anything.
The duo of her and Sergej had one of the best relationship dynamics of the show (if not THE best. and in a friendship/fatherly kind of way of course).
Her personality was not dangerous, unstable or out of control in any way, like Halle. Therefore, there was absolutely no reason to derail her personality, except to make it real easy to dump her together with Alle, with could've been done just the same by having her open up to him like she did to Sergej, easy, full of awesome. But it wasn't meant to be, as instead she got a personality overhaul.
DOn't get me wrong, I still like Marie, but she is a wet piece of cloth compared to kick-ass Soma, and imo her abrupt personality transformation was just to bump her popularity with the sweet-girls-loving demographic.
Could've been done so much more subtle and without rebooting her for no reason.
So, mister (or miss), I dare you to challenge this view in writing this time. Enjoy =)

Last edited by Faerie; 2011-07-22 at 18:56.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote