View Single Post
Old 2006-06-02, 22:56   Link #242
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I find the reactions to Koizumi by the viewers here quite fascinating. There's the "Happy Bodhisvatta" camp that thinks he just radiates tranquility with "what is" and there's the "completely insincere manipulator" (thats not quite it but "Beware of Koizumi") camp.
Is it possible to fall into both camps? I mostly agree with the Happy Bodhisvatta way of thinking, but he's still obviously a manipulator. Yet that in itself isn't necessarily a negative quality; isn't manipulating the most basic element of his, Yuki & Mikuru's job? They have to manipulate situations so that Haruhi doesn't get bored and (along with Kyon) stave off approaching disaster without letting Haruhi know any more than she has to. Yuki and Itsuki possess the necessary skills to carry all of that out--in fact, in some ways Yuki is far, far more of a "manipulator," as she seems to do much more behind-the-scenes preventive work than Itsuki. She may be controlling & smoothing things over almost constantly. Mikuru doesn't have that kind of aptitude, but at least she's moe.

I just don't think Itsuki has ill intentions--at least not any more so than Yuki & Mikuru. His preternatural calmness is what makes him amusing as a character, and he (like Yuki) has the advantage of being about 1000% more reliable than Mikuru-tan. If he were a female character, viewers would probably worship his personality for exactly the same reasons that they revile it now. But hey, that's life--y'all should just be happy that he doesn't hit on the girls! Then he'd really seem like a sleazebag. No, he's certainly no threat to Kyon's harem...

I want to see Itsuki and Yuki team up again in the future.