View Single Post
Old 2010-08-29, 21:17   Link #4173
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Nah I think its normal. At some point in time, even I've gotten into deep political conversations with even the least inclined people. Its interesting; I discuss it rarely with some people, and quite often with others. I enjoy philosophical and theoretical economic discussions too, it really happens quite often, and not a bad way to spend an hour or two over a beer or a joint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
If you want a 'real'' normal conversation topic, use weather, sport result or any others meaningless subject. But if you want a real conversation, first addapt your subject to the group, trying to talk of geopolitic with a group than was talking of the latest talkshow will probably end up as a fail.
The thing is that, I tend to spot a very common topic : criticising others behind their backs. Granted that I do that from time to time, but practically every group conversation I have been in after I left the army has always been verbally attacking someone who's not present for most of the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Back in my university days, international students at London School of Economics used to complain that the moment Singaporean students get together, they invariably talk about only two things: politics and national service.
I thought talking about national service is the norm for Singaporean guys wherever they are.

Quote:
So, no, it's not weird to be engaged by such topics — there are people who love discussing such issues. But, most certainly, they make up only a very small minority. It's usually the case that people here prefer to avoid argument, as it usually generates a lot of hurt feelings over matters that most of us don't have direct control over anyway. So, why bother?
Actually, now that you have said that, I was wondering why people around me actively talk about others' actions and behaviours behind their backs when it is something they also have no direct control over. Maybe it is a "immediate concern" thing - anything that they can't see affecting them is regarded as harmless.

Maybe I should start hanging out with different people. Thanks for the answers guys.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote