View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 23:20   Link #25
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I watched Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Cardcaptor Sakura, Rurouni Kenshin, Pokemon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, and Spirited Away without knowing that they were anime. I also vaguely recall watching the last episodes of Gundam Wing with my brother.

With the exception of Cardcaptor Sakura (rewatched in Japanese), Spirited Away (still own the DVD), and Pokemon (the movies), I don't really recall what happened in these. This was when I was a kid and still watched TV, so all of these were English dubbed versions aired on Cartoon Network. I would watch a few episodes after school and get excited even though I didn't know what was happening.

The first anime I was actively aware of was Full Moon o Sagashite. Looking back on it, there were a lot of flaws. The original fancy art didn't transition well to animation, there were some filler episodes, and the anime's plot was different than the manga's. That didn't stop me from bawling my eyes out during emotional parts and loving it as a whole. To this day, Changin My Life's song "Love Chronicle" still holds a dear place in my heart because it played during an impactful moment.