View Single Post
Old 2013-03-23, 18:44   Link #24
Dawnstorm

First, the facts: I enjoyed Shin Sekai Yori a lot more than Psycho Pass. I thought the Shin Sekai Yori ending made its point brilliantly, whereas I didn't really get the point behind the Psycho Pass ending. Note that I'm talking about my intuition, here, and that a "point" isn't necessarily something that I can define. I felt the SSY ending was very satisfying and redeemed some of the show's flaws. PP... I wasn't dissatisfied, I wans't satisfied; the show just ended.

I don't think there's that much difference in terms of hope. I disagree about Akane:

Spoiler:

I find Akane and Saki pretty much on par, with Saki better positioned to actually work change, but one person can only do so much.

My biggest problem with PP was ultimately the basic concept. SSY has set up a situation that's very hard to resolve even ethically. The social controls in place feel necessary. With PP, we have a system without any perceived need. What would happen if you went back to a human-run system? I thought PP failed to justify the system.

Why do we have Sybil? What's the point? I wasn't fond of the Sybil reveal:

Spoiler:

Finally, I think SSY did a much better job at displaying a crisis:

Spoiler for crisis comparison:

Last edited by Dawnstorm; 2013-03-23 at 18:46. Reason: Messed up a spoiler tag on [i]both[/i] ends.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote