View Single Post
Old 2007-07-02, 07:37   Link #66
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I don't have any major criticisms of this final episodes (well, none that Mirrinus hasn't already brought up) other than the jarring slow down in pace (although as others have pointed out, Sola is at its best when it slows down), but the damage was done in the previous episodes, when this series couldn't create for itself a cast of sympathetic lead characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep13:
The only "should" that I'm throwing at the writers is that they should have written stronger characters. Had they done that, this would have almost certainly have been a far better anime, and we (as in, this show's critics) may have had a better chance of really connecting with the story and the drama. Ok, that, and the writers should have written a plot with less inconsistencies and inane plot devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm not the type of person that can take a (fake) position of objectiveness in order to judge a series, so it's hard for me to rate one.
Allow me to respectfully take that position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Spoiler for Episode 13, duh:
These are some really good points, and I found myself thinking much the same things as I watched this episode. Some of them are minor, but they do exist as inconsistencies. As others have said (Skane from memory... apologies if I'm wrong), there almost seems to have been some very poor planning go into the storyboarding stage of production, and the results seems to have been these inconsistencies... most of which are minor, IMO, but all so frequent, that it adds in a cumulative effect and becomes difficult not to notice.

Great points on the character development. As you say, it is cheap if characters do complete backflips or if all their changes can be traced back to one moment, but it's not the first time this series has done it. Much worse than Aono's change in this episode (which redeems itself by the fact that it offers a resolution... even if it isn't exactly a strong one) was Yorito's sudden desire to end his life in the last, which virtually came out of nowhere. I can forgive the former, but I can't forgive the latter.

Overall verdict: for me, this show falls smack bang in the middle of mediocrity. There are a few good points, but they're overshadowed not by one or two significantly bad things, but numerous little flaws that simply add up. I think, rather forgettable in the end.