View Single Post
Old 2007-09-13, 19:17   Link #130
Meophist

I typed this up last night but the Internet went screwy on me so I couldn't post it. Fortunally, my browser lets me keep what I typed even if I hit back, so I just copied to my notes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
The fate of the Japanese video industry with many software houses having to write games catering to Western audience is exactly why the otakus are panicking. It hasn't happen yet, but I do worry about the prerogatives of the racist Hollywood execs who would have zero respect for anything Japanese for the sake of profit.
Well, the Japanese video game industry was pretty much dying, forcing software developers to look towards other countries for sales. Fortunally, Nintendo was there with the DS, single-handedly reversing the downfall. However, I don't know what the otakus think about that.

As for catering to a western audience, I only really see Capcom, and to an extent, Namco, doing so. I don't actually see the cross-over to be much of a bad thing, however. There's much stagnation within the industry; a bit of western influence on the part of Japanese developers and a bit of Japanese influence on the part of western developers can do the industry good. Of course, some of this is annoyance that western software fare poorly in Japan overall, while the reverse is far from true.

In any case, I am unfamiliar with the anime industry in terms of health, but it doesn't seem too bad at the moment at the very least. It's hardly seems to be "thriving", though.