View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 20:38   Link #2339
Siegel Clyne

Japanese Pop Cultural References in Videos by Music Artists of Part Japanese Descent

In my earlier posts in this thread, The Japanese Diaspora, Part 1 and The Japanese Diaspora, Part 2, I documented the very high intermarriage rates of present-day Nikkei or Nikkeijin (Japanese immigrants and their descendants) living in the New World (North America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean) in the former, and linked to a number of videos on YouTube featuring entertainers and celebrities of mainly mixed Japanese descent from the New World and Europe in the latter.

Using official data and figures from the 2010 U.S. Census, as well as from the 2000 U.S. Census, around 41.5% of the total population of the Japanese ethnic group in the United States is of mixed ancestry.

In other words, almost half of the ethnic Japanese population in the U.S. is only part Japanese.

About 6.0% of the total ethnic Japanese population in the U.S. is a combination of Japanese and other Asian only (Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Hmong, Laotian, Thai, Filipino, Malaysian, Indonesian, Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Tibetan, Nepalese, Bhutanese, etc).

The total population of full Japanese descent living in the U.S. ACTUALLY DECREASED from 2000 to 2010, presumably mostly due to deaths of the elderly population.

The majority of the young ethnic Japanese living in the U.S. already appear to be of mixed descent.

It seems that the 2020 U.S. Census will show that the majority of ALL ethnic Japanese living in the U.S. will be of mixed descent.

After intermarriages with whites, the second most common form of intermarriage involving Japanese Americans is with other Asian Americans.

An example is main rapper, songwriter, producer, and frontman for the popular mainstream American electro hop band Far☆East Movement, Kev Nish AKA Kevin Nishimura.

Kev Nish's father is a third-generation Japanese American, or Sansei, while his mother is a third-generation Chinese American.

Kev Nish and a couple of his close friends from downtown Los Angeles, California - lead rapper and songwriter Prohgress AKA James Roh, and rapper and songwriter, J-Splif AKA Jae Choung, both Korean Americans - formed Emcees Anonymous by 2001, but later changed the group's name to Far East Movement. Los Angeles radio station Power 106 DJ, DJ Virman AKA Virman Coquia, a Filipino American, became Far East Movement's official DJ in 2008.

While mixed Asian American music artists (e.g., Puerto Rican/Filipino American Bruno Mars) have topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Charts, Far East Movement became the first (and still only?) All-Asian American group to hit No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Charts with their song, "Like A G6," in October 2010.

Far East Movement - Like A G6 ft. The Cataracs, DEV

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

In their sweet (really bittersweet) 2009 music video "Rocketeer" featuring Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter, record producer and frontman for the pop rock band OneRepublic, Ryan Tedder, there are a few examples of Japanese-style illustration and manga pictures, as well as a Super Mario reference by Kev Nish:

Far East Movement - Rocketeer ft. Ryan Tedder

YouTube

Far East Movement's 2011 music video "If I Was You (OMG)" features famous rapper, singer, record producer, and actor, Snoop Dogg:

Far East Movement - If I Was You (OMG) ft Snoop Dogg

YouTube

Near the end of Far East Movement's 2012 music video "Jello" featuring rapper, dancer, and actress, Rye Rye, Kev Nish proposes to and kisses - really kisses - an Oprah Winfrey lookalike:

Far East Movement - Jello ft. Rye Rye

YouTube

Far East Movement's 2012 music video "Live My Life" featuring YouTube sensation, Justin Bieber, was filmed in Amsterdam, The Netherlands:

Far East Movement - Live My Life ft. Justin Bieber

YouTube

Here is the "Party Rock Remix" version of "Live My Life" by Far East Movement featuring Justin Bieber and rapper, singer-songwriter, producer, dancer and DJ, Redfoo, from the electro pop duo LMFAO:

Far East Movement - Live My Life (Party Rock Remix) ft. Justin Bieber & Redfoo

YouTube

Far East Movement's new album, DIRTY BASS, is slated to be released "May 22nd around the world and June 5th in the US."

Rising and much critically acclaimed American r&b/pop singer-songwriter Jhené Aiko (born Jhené Aiko Efuru Chilombo in Los Angeles, California) - whose mother, Christina Yamamoto, is half Japanese and half Dominican mulata (mixed black and white {Spanish}), and whose father, Dr. Karamo Chilombo, is part black, part German Jewish, and part Native American - has drawn praise from fellow music artists like rappers Drake and Wiz Khalifa.

Jhené Aiko's 2011 music video, "SNAPPED," which was posted on her official music channel on YouTube, features video clips from the Japanese animation (anime) title Black Lagoon, starring Revy:

Jhene' Aiko's "SNAPPED"

YouTube

Jhené's older sister, Mila J, is also a singer. Here are a couple of her music videos from 2006 and 2007, respectively, "Complete" and "Good Lookin' Out" featuring Marques Houston:

Mila J - Complete

YouTube

Mila J - "Good Lookin' Out" feat. Marques Houston

YouTube

Whatever happened to Mila J?

Many fans say that Mila J and certainly her baby sister Jhené Aiko have a lot more talent than many, if not most, of the singers who are more popular today.

More information and videos featuring Far East Movement and Jhené Aiko, as well as other international entertainers and celebrities of mainly part Japanese ancestry, can be found in my The Japanese Diaspora, Part 2 post which I linked to above. I recently updated that post with a number of new links and more info, including different videos starring the stunningly gorgeous, part Japanese, Uruguayan-born Mexican actress and model Bárbara Mori.

Born to a Japanese-Jamaican mother and a Black American father in New York, Misa Hylton is an American celebrity stylist. "She has created fashions for Mary J. Blige, Kimora Lee Simmons, Chris Rock, Missy Elliot, Lil' Kim, Diddy; Faith Evans and the beat goes on...." She has said that she prefers to work behind the scenes.

While a teenage student in high school, Misa Hylton dated famous American rapper, singer, record producer, actor, and entrepreneur Diddy AKA Sean John Combs, who was an adult at the time.

Misa Hylton.mp4

YouTube

Misa Hylton Speaks

YouTube

Misa Hylton and Diddy had a son together, Justin Dior Combs. Earlier this year, the 18-year-old Justin accepted a full football scholarship to UCLA. The 5-foot, 9-inch Justin Combs plays defensive back.

Inheriting his mother's good looks and his father's status as a famous celebrity, Justin seems to be have already been quite a heartthrob when he was a younger teenager. Now being an American football jock at a big name, NCAA Division I university should have even more girls throwing themselves at him.

FOX Sports Next: Justin Combs

YouTube

Justin Combs SUPER SWEET 16 At M2, 01/23/10-Part 1 of 4-HD

YouTube

Justin's younger half sister, Madison Brim, Misa Hylton's daughter with her ex-husband Jojo Brim, is a real cutie:

Top 5 Things That Scare Madison

YouTube

Madison does the Cinnamon Challenge

YouTube

Japanese America, Japanese Canada, Japanese Mexico, Japanese Brazil, etc., will only increasingly look like - although in the case of intermarriage with most other Asians, they will nor differ very much - the entertainers, celebrities, and their offspring whom I have featured in my posts on this thread.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2012-05-14 at 23:22.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote