View Single Post
Old 2009-03-30, 19:26   Link #39
4Tran

Marimite is perhaps the one show that understands itself the best, and as a consequence, just about everything about the show works extremely well. This episode wraps up the season, and perhaps the entire show as well, and everything ends on a very proper and satisfying note. It's not necessarily the most dramatic note to end things on, but the feeling it engenders is just great.

As I expected, Touko did her share of grovelling (even if it wasn't of a demeaning nature), and Yumi took everything in stride in her own way. There was the standard excellent non-verbal communication, but what I particularly liked was how the music was used to convey meaning, in the place of words or even expression. It's a technique I've seen in live-action, and there are some anime that have tried it, but it's not one that works all that often (Azumangan Daioh is another example of where it does work very well). Really though, it's been a great ride, and that's about all I have to say about Marimite. In a way, I almost wish that there was more I dislike about the show so I'd have more to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
All this talk of the anime ending is depressing me. It's only the end of the season. Hope springs eternal for another one.
It is good to be hopeful, but Studio Deen was unsure if this season would be animated as a TV series or as an OVA. That says to me that any more animation is unlikely - although I'd love to be pleasantly surprised (I have to admit to being surprised by the existence of the OVAs and this season as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I nearly missed out too. I was hooked from the first ep, but I had trouble getting past the summary. "School girl lesbians? Why would I want to watch that?".
What's sort of amusing is that the show really isn't about that, so anyone watching purely for school girl lesbians was sure to be disappointed. I watched the first episode when it aired, with no foreknowledge of any kind, so preconceptions didn't affect me at all.