View Single Post
Old 2008-08-28, 15:31   Link #309
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart View Post
mangakas and seiyuu are in the same industry. if thats true then both your Miyazaki and Hamil/TDK example holds no grounds as both of them are in the same industry. see how that works...
Please tell me where I indicated otherwise. I've always been comparing their popularity to the general public, not geek culture or industry culture since you seem convinced that seiyuus are Hollywood level in Japan, which they're not.

Quote:
cool... but your refrence had nill to do with dubbers... it had to do with the joker which is an american cartoon. apple meet orange
Alright then, his role as the villain in Castle in the Sky.

Quote:
children?

again it just doesnt fly. to some extent it holds water because truthfully these are valued customers... however no business that racks in such high revenues would be able to do so with just these two as the main contributers to its gains. that just doesnt make sense. sorry... i just dont agree at all that to me just doesnt make any logical business sense.
It's been working just fine in Japan. you've got thousands of otakus willing to shell out thousands of dollars each for the shows they like. kj even explains why the have disposable incomes for these things.

Again like kj said:

Quote:
Simply put: Most teens in your country sticks to watching MTV. Similar thing here in Japan. Dad comes home from work, he's not going to watch anime. He wants to see K-1 fighting, Suzuki Ichiro playing for the Seattle Mariners, or soccer. Mom watches TV between household chores, she's going to watch cooking channels. Kid comes home from school, he/she wants to be "in with the times" so he/she watches channels dedicated to music and latest fashion trends.

Anime is for kids. That is the reality of how it is viewed - even in Japan. Yes, it is quite shocking for you guys, but that is the reality. While we do have anime only channels like bayoab has said, it's practically the same in America - people who view them are otakus. Practically you too are saying that when you say, "hey I love to watch Cartoon Network." Wow, I can sense the geekiness coming out from you. Same with me. Unless you are an avid fan of the original story who eagerly wants to watch the show by actually paying for it, no one is going to watch it.

If dad is bringing home the money to pay for the satellite service, he'll watch something more "normal." Kick-ass exhibition fighting matches, heart-pounding live action foreign dramas, or see our national hero hitting runs in MLB.

But like I said, animes are shown on local UHF stations late at night, or in satellite subscription service. As you said, it caters to grow that market. That's why you see otakus shelling out cash with over 50 anime shows airing next season. Who is going to watch them? Otakus. That's who it is catered for, and because of BS and CS channels, that is why anime shows ballooned to the bubble that we are seeing today.
Quote:
every business that large needs to appeal to the masses unless you are catering to a niche market... there are genres of anime that will only target those markets like the late night shows, hentai, yaoi, yuri etc. but for the most part those shows have a mass appeal to them. i am in no way denying that your average adult probably isnt rushing home from work to catch bleach but i also think that there are a large number of people outside of the "otaku" group and above the children group that enjoy it as well for it to do as well as it has.
Bleach is shounen, so that's mostly kids the money's coming in for. Majority of anime these days are niche actually.

Quote:
that again has nothing to do with being a fan of the seiyuu...

that example would be a person being a fan of the SINGER not the seiyuu. if you never knew that Ono Daisuke was a relatively popular seiyuu because all you know is that you love his music then of course it makes sense
okay what was the point about this again? You said if your a fan of them you'll know about their anime stuff. I was giving an example where that wasn't the case.