Thread: Licensed Akb0048
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-14, 05:32   Link #54
Undertaker

AKB48 is the hot item in Japane right now, debuting late 2005 name after their power base in Akihabara, they started with 24 girls aged between 13-18 performing shows in AKB48 Theater at Akihabara.

Eventually grow in size to 48 regular members divided into 3 teams (A,K,B) and backup group along with other spin-off groups. This year the adds a 4th team into the regular. Surrently only 6 original member left in the group (others either transfers to sister groups liks SDN48 or graduated ala Morning Musume) Six original members are: Atsuko Maeda, Minami Takahashi, Tomomi Itano, Minami Minegishi, Haruna Kojima, and Natsumi Hirajima.

Except Haruna Kojima being 23, other 5 are either 19 or 20, making their debut age at 13,14.

For past 2-3 years they weren't just on top of Japanese idol industry but on top of Japanese music industry as well. They've being breaking the record left and right, with currently 9 consecutive singles debuting at #1 for opening week and last three debuted as million sellers, incredible feat consider the slow down of CD sales market in Japan since 2001. They also have total of 6 singles sold over a million which puts them over the likes of Pink Ladys, Namie Amuro, Ayumi Hamasak, and Hikaru Utada.

In would be interesting to see exactly what the anime is about. What I don't get was the core members that was shown in character page seems to denote them with generational-honorifics that doesn't make t much sense.

But I guess that ties into whole saving the world stuff and yes I'm extremely intrigued....

But really, like someone said before, at first I thought this anime is totally about adapting AKB49, but now it seem that this is a brand new project with ambitous stuff...