Thread: Smoking
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-31, 05:28   Link #481
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Spoiler for space saver:
First of all, you absolutely do have a choice whether you buy a car or not. I currently do not own a vehicle, and walking/biking to my destinations proves just as effective as a car, despite it being slower.

Also, I'm glad that smokers annoy you, but they do not annoy me. However, I am disgusted (a form of annoyance) by people who find it necessary to blame society for their morbid obesity, people who chew with their mouths open, and people who ignore the healthy portions of their meals in favor of another dessert. Call me an asshole if you want, but the argument that smokers annoy non-smokers, and so smoking should be banned (which is what you infer, even if you didn't say it directly), is specious, opinionated, and false. People are annoyed by a multitude of things; some by smokers, some not.

Lastly, banning cigarettes would have precisely the opposite effect you suggest. If you don't believe me, I suggest you do some research into marijuana use in the United States. Particularly search for the time of it's first introduction (when it was legal c. 1920), the time of it's classification as a level 1 drug, and the "participation" statistics from those two points in time onward. Illegality breeds interest, especially insofar as minor illegalities are concerned.
Spoiler for space saver:
Fact: Every ban on harmful substances is good if it works. They almost never do.
Fact: Not every American housewife owns a Hummer. In fact, the large majority of them probably don't.
Fact: Just because you think you have to "force yourself" through a few smokes to enjoy it, doesn't make it so. Also, I don't even "taste" my smokes any more. And I certainly never despised the taste. It was just something I had to get used to; like NEW FOODS!
Everyone may have many reasons to start smoking; no one deserves to be called a shit-head for their personal decisions. Also, if you don't think the "habit" argument is a valid one, then you must be the most perfect person in the world, with no habits of any kind. Habit is a very valid argument for people's continued smoking. There are even people who struggle to quit smoking, not because they can't get over the nicotine addiction, but because of their "reaching habit."
Spoiler for space saver:
I don't even understand how this fits into the discussion. You can't survive without your car? Bummer for you I guess. I can't survive without my cigarettes. Bummer for me? Sure is. We all have our vices. Yours happens to be a car, mine happens to be a cigarette.

And I contend that you either live in a very "socially dependant" area, or watch too much television, to get your opinions on American's and their housewives (I'm honestly thinking you watch that show "Real Housewives of *insert city*" to get your information). Note: I define a "socially dependant" area as an area where people struggle to get the very best of everything, because they think it will make them better people, or some such nonsense.