View Single Post
Old 2013-03-27, 13:30   Link #35
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
We don't know whether Madara did or did not do anything to compromise and we can only assume that up to that point, he had been a proper and good leader/ co-leader.
Madara has never compromised on his clan or his pride. That is a key facet of his personality. To put into perspective, at some point during these early days Madara fought against Mu and Oonoki, attempting to force Iwa into submission to Konoha. He won this encounter and, more or less, told the nation that they must obey Konoha's orders. This is not the action of a character who wishes to seek equality or compromises. This was the action of a ruler and conqueror (something the Uchiha have been portrayed as before).

That being said, we do not need to see the itty bitty details to know what Madara (and others) are capable of or what they have already done. Madara is a character who demanded the death of his sworn rival rather than simply surrender (he even acknowledged that his death would mean nothing to a clan that had already forsaken him). He is a prideful character who refuses to compromise if he ever comes across as being the weaker of the compromise.

Quote:
But he foresaw the inequality and probably saw no way around the doom he predicted. He did compromise by trying to pull his clan out, but his clan won't trust him (probably because they trusted the first more).
Yes he saw potential inequality, but in reality his answer to solving that inequality was far worse (in every single respect) than simply striving to gain the trust of the village. Instead of simply sitting down and attempting to work through the issues facing the clan and the village, he instead sought dominance (admittedly, this is all to fuel the drama of the situation, so logic doesn't matter quite as much). (This is why I compared him to Naruto (and bluntly acknowledged their levels of tragedy, though trauma would have been a better word), who sought to change people's opinions rather than forcing them to do anything.)

Additionally, I do not understand why you think telling the Uchiha to leave Konoha is a compromise. I guess it is technically a compromise for the Uchiha Clan, but it's not really a compromise with Konoha...

Quote:
He wasn't even doing it for his pride, but for his clan. He wasn't even depicted to be unhappy about not being chosen as hokage.
Agree to disagree. I did not read the sequence of events, nor Madara's destruction of the symbolic leaf, as being indicators of a Madara simply looking out for his clan (a clan that had already begun deserting him before this alliance was even struck). I do believe that Madara was looking out for his clan, but I also believe that Madara did not think anyone but himself could look after his clan.

I should note, I do feel some sympathy for Madara (unlike Tobi, who I feel nothing by incredulity for). He is a product f his times who dreams of something better but through his own and others actions he can never actually achieve his dreams. There is something realistically tragic about Madara.

Last edited by james0246; 2013-03-27 at 13:58.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote