View Single Post
Old 2004-01-13, 05:26   Link #1
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Habitual flaming

I've noticed that flaming has become an increasing problem on the AnimeSuki forums. It really bugs me how many good threads are locked due to flamewars started by habitual flamers, people who seem simply unable to carry on a civilized discussion with anyone who doesn't agree 100% with them. And it bugs me even more that these habitual flamers aren't dealth with. Several of them blatantly disregard the rules concerning flaming/insulting/harassment because they KNOW they are unlikely to be banned, especially if they have been members for a while. I don't want to criticize the job the moderators do here, but I think locking the thread while letting the flamers continue to roam is a little bit too simple.

My personal opinion is that temporary banning of habitual rulebreakers should be used, and maybe delete some of the offending posts, even if it might make some threads look a bit strange. Locking the threads while letting them continue to sour the enviroment is going to make things progressivly worse as the number of members on the forums increase. Unless there is a firm stand against this kind of thing, AnimeSuki will eventually be abandoned by any decent person out there since it will only be a run-down forum of whiners and flamers like much of the rest on the web.

This is a pretty bleak picture I'm painting here, but all the old-timers must surely have noticed the trend. There's no reason to think it will get better all by itself. The moderators might not want to come across as tyrants who ban people who don't fully agree with them, but I think that you are a bit too lenient at times. Just because a person has been a member for some time doesn't mean that he should be excempt from the rules. Quite the contrary, IMO, members who've been around a while have an increased responsibility to behave according to rules and common decency, to set examples, and as such they should be treated more firmly when they willingly break rules than the newbies do.

I'm not looking to make enemies here, or to point fingers and make holier-than-thou speeches at people. Nor am I trying to blame the mods for the current state of the forums (believe me, I don't envy you your un-paid, low perk job) But I think AnimeSuki is seeing a negative trend which should be reversed before it gets even worse, before it chases away almost every decent person on the web and invites all the undesirables to take over.

Maybe I'm just getting old....

Anyway: Please deal with repeating flamers (and repeating trolls, they're not any better) before you lock valid and interesting threads.