View Single Post
Old 2009-02-24, 18:37   Link #242
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, Gintama ... and how quickly people forget Pani Poni Dash ... a series so laden in referencing that individual frames might require an entire page to note all the cultural, historical, pop, and insider referencing Lucky Star's "cultural references" were in great part simply inserted by KyoAni adapters (the original material is more "Peanuts"-like slice-of-life). Many of PPD's references are in the original material.
I think people liked to hunt L*S references because KyoAni put in all mainstream, common stuff that are dead easy to notice. Nobody's going to miss Akuma, Initial D, and most noticeably the KyoAni self-nods. That kind of spurred everyone to look for things that...are just standard anime gags in the 90s. Maybe I just saw too many 90s kids series that I got desensitized.

<offtopic>
I think I was the only one in the room to realize that Gintama was singing a folk song, besides the obvious Tokugawa Ieyasu jabs. Actually, I didn't realize it's a folk song until I looked it up - it was popular because a Japanese tenor's performance floated it on Oricon for half a year.

Spoiler for Listen to it here:

</offtopic>