View Single Post
Old 2008-08-06, 21:39   Link #87
Nervous Venus

Quote:
That other reader is picking at body hairs, imo.
He's a 40 years + culinary chef. He pulled out his credentials to prove that he knows his stuff about rice, lol, even though I'm asian and I cook it everyday. I guess he felt I was being really defensive by explaining to him why I wrote what I wrote. On the board they call that "debating with the reviewer", and I was warned against doing so. One mod called me arrogant and rude, and then two other mods stepped in to mediate (they both said that I meant no harm). You're supposed to thank them and say, " I will change that, " or " Thank you, but I think I'll go with what I have now," but you can't discuss why you wrote what you wrote because it sounds "defensive". It's like walking on egg shells.

It was just a really odd experience for me. So I backed out of the place immediately.

Quote:
As mentioned before, lots of his stuff features characters who don't have pleasant pasts or are going through tough times in the present.
Carver sounds even better. I don't want tragedies, though if it has to have a sad ending, I'd like to at least expect it, but this sounds like my cup of tea. Rarely do Haruki Murakami's characters have pleasant pasts and they are always going through difficult times in the present. They are also just everyday regular people, though some are, to his credit, very odd. I'll be looking in the bookshop online to find some of Raymond Carver's work