View Single Post
Old 2009-03-19, 00:00   Link #132
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
They are the production studio, they are responsible for who works on what, and are thus responsible for the quality of the product. And just like a certain level of quality can be expected from Kyoto Animation, there is a certain level of disaster that can be expected from JC Staff. They've built up their own reputation like KyoAni has. I usually don’t get too concerned over animation. It would be the writers and directors that I have problems with.
They're the animation production studio, but not always among the show's producers. And they're not always the one that do the series planning either -- for example, on a show like ZnT that they're often blamed for, Genco is specifically credited with production. How many other "bad sequels" have they done where, actually, they had nothing to do with the story? Has anyone checked? So, basically, that's why I'm saying it's not that simple. They get blamed even when they don't do the part of the job that people dislike, and hence I think their bad reputation is somewhat unjustified due to the oversimplification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
But if it’s not specified in the credits that that’s the case, and only names are there, then I’ll assume they work for JC Staff, or were hired for this job by them. If this were to happen on a consistent basis, then maybe they should make better decisions with who they deal with for an animation production.
But the animation production company is not the top of the totem pole here. The production committee is. That's why they're the last name in the credits, because they're the ones ultimately funding the project and responsible for everything. Sometimes the animation production company is in the production committee, but sometimes they're just a contractor doing the job they're being paid to do. It's just convenient to blame them because they're the easiest name to remember.

Anyway... it's not that I'm really trying to single you out in particular, it's just that this argument comes up all the time, and it never really makes much sense when you dig deeper into the facts, that's all. Call it a pet peeve, I guess.