View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 02:33   Link #261
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
You can't just present a poor vulnerable girl (which btw was screaming to be "felt sorry for", which I also didn't buy - manufactured drama to the max) and then suddenly do a 180 and make her into some AI program and "cheat" to erase a powerful boss. And then do a 180 again and create a melodramatic scene of her fading away with both Kirito and Asuna crying over their loss.
THIS. Pulling something like is just like having no respect for the characters, having no respect in making characters (more of this), having no respect in how to develop a plot, no respect in creating real drama, and no respect in character development all at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So yeah... I really honestly don't understand the issue. The entire purpose of the conflict in this episode was to reveal Yui's identity as an AI. It's not like the plot developed this way because the author somehow painted himself into a corner -- the point is that *she is* a "God". I'm more surprised you didn't see this coming with all the hints last week...
Oh this episode definitely emphasized Yui's identity and even more. It showed us that Yui's entire purpose was to be a plot device. To be a character to inject melodrama in. To be a character we're supposed to sympathize with in two episodes. Whether or not anyone of us saw hints an episode before, the fact still remains that this is completely shoddy writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
I don't think SAO fails to do what it tries to do as a story. The problem is that the trailers teased something different to what we got, and the fans hyped it above the heavens as something it was not.
Of all the possibilities there are to work with such a good premise, SAO took the easy road. But can you blame an author that wrote this on his late teens?* I can't, on the contrary, it's quite impressive.

It's been 12 episodes already, people should have lowered their expectations a bit by now.
Actually this is kinda true. Maybe I am still hung up with how I thought it was gonna be and the fact that people highly regarded the light novels. But really, it doesn't change the fact that this episode was bad. And yeah, I have to agree with you that SAO took the easy road with a grand setting like this.