Thread: Ubuntu Linux
View Single Post
Old 2008-10-31, 18:47   Link #783
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I do find the one-CD approach of Ubuntu a bit of a pain. I don't really understand why they don't distribute DVDs with all or most of the packages the way Fedora does. I'm constantly having to install things over the network like nfs-server or even Firefox and Thunderbird because they're not defaults with Kubuntu. The most obvious omission is openssh-server which is something I use every day on almost every Linux machine I manage.
Actually, the have distributed DVD images in the past, and I don't doubt they'll do it again.

Though I prefer using the network because I prefer to download ONLY what I want to install, though I somewhat sympathize with what you're saying. I just don't like systems which install EVERY DAMNED THING in the known world (Red Hat has been notorious for that in the past). Plus since I have several Ubuntu boxen locally, I have one machine running Squid with settings tweaked so that even the biggest of the big-ass .deb files I'm likely to use are cached with no problem.

Quote:
Still I might end up sticking with Ubuntu for a while after this release, at least on the desktop. I doubt I'll stop using CentOS on servers, though.
I have tried Centos myself, I didn't get much further past the filesystem selection (I tend to use XFS on all my installs). Though that's not the real reason. The net install CD expects me to already know where something is instead of offering me a choice from a list as well as a blank, even over the Internet. Fedora Core does as well. This has completely turned me off any recent Red Hat-based distro ever made. RPM does a great job of doing this as well.

All my deployed production Linux servers are Ubuntu servers. They used to be Debian, but I got tired of the long dev cycles and all the needless politicking. I have had only one major issue in all that time and that was when I upgraded an external server from Gutsy to Hardy. However, going from Hardy to Intrepid was a breeze. And I'm glad I did it early; the repos are SLASHDOTTINGLY SWAMPED right now.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote