View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 19:56   Link #199
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Honestly, I think part of it is just to make it a bit more polarizing and give people something to talk about. Think about how much discussion on this forum was generated just based on people's various feelings and interpretations of Kirino's behaviour. If they had made her more sympathetic, I'm not sure the anime would have gotten so much attention (i.e. people watching the show just to see what all the fuss is about and to have an opinion of their own).

I guess the other thing is that I think seeing and hearing something play out on screen can have a different connotation than reading it in a novel or seeing it in manga. Things like tone of voice make a big difference in terms of how you read certain lines, and seeing, for example, the amount of force Kirino used when she hit Kyousuke (or whatever) can change your view on whether it's more comedic or serious. I remember that the "Naru Punch" was always a major controversy back in the Love Hina anime days, though it was meant only as slapstick humour. Seeing someone go flying in a single frame of manga can seem like a joke, but seeing a punch actually connect in motion and hearing the hit and the reaction can make it seem more serious. Some of that was also subject to the interpretation of the anime staff; the way you interpreted it when you read it may have depended a bit on how sympathetic you were towards Kirino, but the anime gives you a bit less to interpret in that sense.