View Single Post
Old 2010-12-03, 14:15   Link #182
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have to disagree.

When watching True Tears, I felt that the anime had an overall artistic style, and a degree of attention to visual detail, very reminiscent to an anime produced by Kyoto Animation.

Honesty, acejem, I'm surprised that as a True Tears fan who has watched a lot of Kyoto Animation shows that you're not seeing the similarity yourself.

I mean, I'm certainly not saying that True Tears' overall artistic style is identical to either of those employed by Kyoto Animation, but there are many aspects that True Tears' overall artistic style shares with Kyoto Animation.

Consider the two screenshots:

Spoiler for Haruhi 2006/True Tears screenshot comparison:

Now there are nuanced differences between the two, of course, but there's quite a few things alike between them as well.

Also, when comparing PA Works to Kyoto Animation, I was talking in part about how they have similar practices; basically, the very same practices that Kaioshin alluded to.
In terms of practice, I'm not going to disagree as it could very well that the two studios have similar practices as both result in high budget animes. I still can't however agree that P.A. Works artstyle was heavily influenced by KyoAni. Have a look at this picture, which is a comparable shot to the ones above you linked:

Spoiler for JC Staff Shakugan no Shana Example:

Note that Shakugan no Shana started before KyoAni's popularity started, and JC was a studio that existed long before KyoAni was born. The Shana pic possesses all or most of the traits you mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
1. The way smiles are drawn are very similar.

2. The way hair is drawn is almost identical.

3. The way eyebrows are drawn are very similar.

4. The way profile shots are handled is almost identical (the very sharp slope on the nose is true for both True Tears characters, as well as Haruhi; Kyon's face-forward nose has a long, solid line too).

5. Foreheads seem somewhat pronounced to me in both pictures.

6. Both use similar lighting and shading affects on hair and clothes and skin.

7. Both have good, solid line work.

8. Both have pretty realistic anatomy and body proportions (other than the eyes of course)
What I'm trying to say is that a lot of studios draw like this (some before KyoAni did) and hence it's artstyle is not exclusive nor originate from KyoAni.

Attention to background detail is not exclusive to KyoAni either, a lot of studios have done this prior to KyoAni, though KyoAni does do it well. In addition, KyoAni is far from having the best background art (not saying you said KyoAni had the best background art, just trying to illustrate a point). In my opinion, if you want the "King" of background art, look no further than Comix Wave (most famously known for Makoto Shinkai works). Examples:

Spoiler for Place Promised in Our Early Days Background Art:

Spoiler for 5 Centimeters Per Second Background Art:

Aside from background comparisons, which I find are usually similar in high budget animes, the character designs in KyoAni vs P.A. Works differ significantly - particularly Key adaptations. Example:

Spoiler for Clannad vs True Tears comparison:

If I had to summarize the difference in character designs between the two, the Clannad girls have bigger eyes, less sharpness, darker shade and are more "cute/moe" looking. Don't get me wrong, I like both artstyles, though if I had to choose personally, True Tears one will edge out a little bit.

Here's also a promotional art piece for P.A. Work's upcoming work:
Spoiler for Hanasaku Iroha art:

I see similarities between this and True Tears but once again not much between this and the Clannad/Haruhi one.

Like I said before, the only series that P.A. Works looks similar to KyoAni is Angel Beats. That I will not deny.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2010-12-03 at 14:32.