View Single Post
Old 2011-07-03, 07:46   Link #196
thirdlc

You guys bring up budget issues here and there, but are you sure you can tell budget by watching episodes? If you can, then of course you can tell an episode's cost too, right? Okay, let's take Manabi Straight as an example. How inexpensive or costly did you think Manabi ep 1 was when you watched it?

The correct answer is, it's one of the costliest episodes for TV anime series.

It's because over ten thousand cels were used in ep 1. You can watch that type of episodes only a few times a year. To tell budget, you have to sense the numbers of cels and shots by watching an episode because inbetweeners and painters are pieceworkers for each cel and key animators are pieceworkers for each shot, and payments for them determine the whole cost of the episode and eventually the cost of the series.

It's a misconception that a detailed (still) shot takes a good amount of money. It's the most inexpensive task in animation since it's minimal with one shot and one cel. In the first place, detailed still shots are a method of cutting corners. What costs in animation is animation. Repeat after me. What costs in animation is animation.

That said, it's not that I want to say Manabi's series budget is high. I think it's reasonable to suppose Manabi's budget is average. If not, the Manabi Line won't do as a rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
SHAFT even put out another MARIAHOLIC when the first season only did 3k.
Stop assuming an anime studio decides whether to make a sequal. I guess Maria Holic Alive is part of promoting a new mazagine, Monthly Comic Gene.

P.S. Akai Chugaku (the author of Hidan no Aria) said nothing but a common sense, "buy BD/DVD, or another season can't be made", not "buy more or another season can't be made".
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote