View Single Post
Old 2007-04-26, 12:54   Link #10
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Huzzah I can give my honest to god review of the episode now.

Plot: Well the main character meets a girl who clearly is unable to exist in sunlight for a reason yet to be specifically determined as of episode 1. We see various metaphorical themes typical of a Key story introduced such as the Sky (symbolizing open space and freedom more than likely) and the drinks stuck in the machine (symbolizing Matsuri's entrapment as a night dweller and Yorito who managed to retrieve the drink as her potential liberator). The picture taking also seems metaphorical as a method of conveying the concept of daylight to Matsuri. I believe they will ultimately be the catalyst for her walking out into the sunlight to be set free. She will probably die as a result and then everybody (but me who saw it coming) will cry and that will be that. There are also other characters as well who are briefly introduced, but not given much character. Matsuri is clearly the most important girl in the story. 6/10 (average in context)

Characters: Aside from Matsuri who was alright, we have the standard harem standby's of the Oneechan, the loli, the Goth-Loi and the sick girl. I want to focus on Aono the sick girl here. Aono has to be one of the more dry and uninteresting characters I've seen in an anime in recent series. She is barely responsive to the presence of the people in the room, and when she is we can't really gauge at all whether she is ungrateful for their presence or if something else is bothering her. I have to say that Aono unfortunately brings down the characters quite a bit. The others are the usual standbys and are alright, but Aono brings it down for me in this episode. 5/10 (below average in context)

Music: I couldn't really remember much of it to be honest, which probably means it didn't have much of an effect on me. I'm going to leave this out of my opinion piece here for the fact that I have no right talking about it if I can't recall it. Maybe if I use this section to talk about the voice acting. The voices did there job (even Aono's since the character is so dry and the VA manage to convey that) and Mamiko Noto is at the top of her game as usual. I guess I can spare this a 7/10 as well.

Art: Eh, it's Good I'll leave it at that. We don't have the cheapy animation that lacks detail, and everything is fairly consistent through the episode. No nitpicks really, it just get's the job done. 7/10.

That about wraps things up, when I do my average I get a 6.25/10 rounded down to a 6/10. Yes I'm a bit hardass, yes I'm below the cutoff point for the lowest review as of yet, but I think I feel I've been reasonably fair in reviewing the episode from my point of view.