View Single Post
Old 2009-07-11, 04:41   Link #89
cicero

I just finished watching up to two. It's too late at night for me to think coherently, so I'm just going to throw these two out there:

Perhaps Maria is (or has) the key. She does, after all, go to Beatrice's portrait in ep. 2 and complain about how no one will believe her. Perhaps the six who were killed were the ones she was feeling most hurt by: that is, Rosa, Klaus (who repeatedly said the letter was "insane"), and Rudolph (who says the same thing). The remaining ones who were killed were the ones who were closest in association to these: Rudolph's wife, Klaus's chosen servant Gouda, and Klaus's wife (Shannon-hastily substituted because Natsuhi obtained the scorpion medal and was in the room right next to her). Battler and Jessica are protected because they appear to have been the nicest to her and agreed that Beatrice existed.
Further, Maria is the one who got the letter, obtained the umbrella, and tied the mysterious rose (which might have been removed by Beatrice to make sure Maria would be out there). Kyrie even says to Battler at one point "Maria is the Key" (to knowing who "Beatrice" is, but this feels like hinting to me).
Basically, Maria has some sort of connection with the witch and her whims are helping to direct the deaths.

I'd also guess, based on the second twilight in the epitaph poem, that the next ones to go are eva and her husband, killed by someone else among the survivors because they think eva and hideyoshi are behind the previous killings. But this is just a guess.

Also, Unknown soldier, technically it's possible that whoever killed her put the ring on her finger, but I agree she probably died later. Maybe the blood on the door was the blood-stained hands of the witch trying to break through to Natsuhi, but eventually she gave up and went for Shannon, much later in the night.

Yes I know I just went full-out supernatural, but it seems so logical...

EDIT: pf. Three posts while I was typing mine. Well, my suspicion is that exactly the kind of red herring reasoning being discussed above leads to someone deciding to kill Eva+Hideyoshi out of paranoia...thereby fulfilling the second twilight.