View Single Post
Old 2011-06-26, 01:06   Link #1062
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
In capitalism, you basically get 2 parties that consent to trading something. There's an agreement of minds. Trading takes place. Sometimes one person is the big loser and the other is a big winner. The whole deal idea made sense to me. You make bad deals and you can go bankrupt, just like in real life.
The point is sometimes. A deal is not a competition. You have banana. I want banana. I bigger monkey. I take banana. But you annoying monkey. You hurt me. I not want hurt. You want banana. Thus deal. Originally, a deal is supposed to avoid a fight.

Life doesn't always work that way. And especially in the financial sector, where there's lots of speculation, and where the banana no longer matters, a "deal" is really a cover up for a fight of some sort. I do think that's what they intended to address, but by having an everyday economy student as the protagonist they sort of muddied the water. Theme demands and characterisation demands were at odds, I feel.

It seemed to me, they tried to erect a plot of financial speculation on a foundation of day-to-day budgeting, and it just didn't work to me.

Quote:
With the whole "money becomes worthless when you have all of it" idea..I'm not sure exactly at what point that would happen. There are many banana republics on this planet but people with all the money still have what all the poor people want. So as long as there is confidence in the money rich people don't have to worry about whether their money will be accepted or not. And even if money were to fall into one person's hand with the rest of the population having virtually none, the one rich person would simply convert his money to assets.
That's not the point. If you have all the money (will never happen in the real world, but it could if deals were knock out fights), then: (a) nobody will be able to buy things from you, because they have no money, and (b) you will not be able to buy things, because they can't invest into producing stuff. If you have all the money, it won't do a thing. It stops being money. This would not be true, if "fighting" were an adequate metaphor for "deal".

Again, I do think the show has a point if they're saying that financial speculation is akin to fighting, and that it's in danger of robbing money of its purpose. But I don't see that coming across very well. If that's not the meaning of their metaphor, I can't see any other, and I'd be tempted to assume they just rolled with a popular anime cliché.

Much like Fractale last season, I think this show wasted its potential.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote