View Single Post
Old 2008-10-04, 03:07   Link #1394
elfboy

Yeah, finally had a chance to watch the ep with Lunar's encode. Thanks Lunar! (even though your rips aren't Sarotech abigs compatible, but that's just me splitting hairs).

I gave the ep a 9/10... but that's a very high 9 (like 9.9). I am tempted to put a ten, but some parts were rushed, like everyone believing in the Battle Frontier and Alto (just because he was still alive) vs. Leon. (Deserters vs the newly appointed President? Without actual actual proof -- other than the assassinated president's daughter showing up on screen. And what happened with Earth and Macross 11? Again, splitting hairs.)

Visually I was impressed. I mean, maybe watching it on my dinky computer screen made everything cramped, but I imagine if I plugged this into a 42" LCD I'll be creaming my underwear, pants, couch. And it was colorful to say the least

I was left with a very satisfied feeling at the end -- surprisingly coz I half expected to hate it. Reading the tons of posts here ranging from questions why the Vajra protected the humans (Ranka's & Sheryl's singing overpowered Grace's mind control, and the Vajra, 'feeling' the singers' emotions felt the urge to protect something important to the someone (Ranka) important to them). In essence, Ranka's singing gave the Vajra something they didn't have -- individual desire, overriding what the hive mind was telling them -- to Grace's smile at the end (She's done something... probably uploaded her consciousness into some far remote reaches of human space, because she's opened the folds all the way back to Earth, she probably could upload herself there in an instant) -- to the 'salute' (seeing it... I think he saluted both, I'm not going to talk about geographic / spatial relations / forced perspectives etc. It's just that if I were a director and I want to show only one person getting the salute, there are better ways. To create ambiguity of whom is receiving the salute, this is very good, but based on my personal opinion of how Macross F has unfolded so far & how Alto has been portrayed, I think that Alto's salute was meant for both girls.

On the Love Triangle... I get this feeling. The girls know Sheryl is ahead. The girls also love each other (like sisters) and will not hurt each other in trying to win Alto's affections. Alto however, has no clue who he likes more. It's evident. He feels strongly for Sheryl, sure... but he also has deep affection for Ranka, maybe not as romantic a nature as Sheryl... but it's still love. So he's conflicted. On one hand, he adores Ranka. On the other, he desires Sheryl. Chaste love vs adult love. Which one is real? Which one is deeper? At 17/18 I'm not sure Alto's mature enough to make a decision... hence why this Love Triangle (as much as I would love to give it to Sheryl, whom I love), is very much still alive. (Now, if we could get them into one woman... we'd get Kuran Kuran )

Overall, I am deeply satisfied with the story. Happy even. But ecstatic? Leave the show permanently on my HDD to rewatch again and again? Probably not. But in terms of wrapping up this season, this was great. I just hope that they give us as awesome and thrilling a story in the movie (and hopefully in a 2nd season they should consider making).

Yakk Deculture! (sounds like yogurt... yakult!)