View Single Post
Old 2011-10-10, 08:59   Link #30
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's not that self-explanatory. Especially now during a transition period for Linux when everyone's updating their GUI and it's all a mess. Ubuntu, Fedora, all the big distros have kinks all over they've yet to get over.

Sure very basic needs are fine -- so are very advanced needs accompanied by advanced skills to handle it, since you can basically write your own code or look up someone's to do what you want the OS to do -- but somewhere in-between is where all the headache-inducing googling starts.

He doesn't even really want to build his own computer and you're suggesting he migrates to Linux.
And I never said he should migrate to using Ubuntu or the bigger distros. There are ones out there for beginner users too. Mint is a good example that was suggested. I actually don't have experience with other distros than Mint but it was pretty self-explanatory for your basic needs, and those needs easily cover also what the OP wanted. There may be even some better alternatives than Mint but I wouldn't know as I'm a gamer so I don't use Linux myself.

SaintessHeart : I have hard time believing that computer parts would be so expensive because at the moment you can get 1TB HDD with 40€, which in dollars is like 60. And if they truly were so expensive where you live, then you should buy them online.

sa547 :
Really now? A 500gb hard drive when 1-2TB are really cheap currently? Given the forum we are at, chances are the OP downloads his anime. If that's the case, you'll want a bit more space than just 500GB. 500GB will cover only few series if you go for the BD quality. I have 5TB of space and it's still not enough.

I disagree about i5-i7 being for hardcore gamers. Casual user can get use out of them too, if you appreciate speed. Though given the budget, I don't think he can go for those. To be honest, though I personally hate AMD, with his budget he would be better off going for AMD way. Perhaps buy Phenom X6 for example, those are quite cheap currently.

There's other things we could discuss too, but frankly first it should be confirmed whether the OP has thought about building it himself or having a pc shop build it for him with the parts he has chosen, or if he is still going to go pre-built way.
But it really is self-explanatory. If you disassemble your current computer which you should if you use the case, you'll pretty much know how to build it again with different parts. I had my friend help me with my rig because I was unsure too, but after building it I knew I could have done it just myself. All parts like RAM and CPU can't be installed wrong .. you just place them on the MB. Then you look at the manual for which wire goes to which slot (most are self explanatory though since there's text on the MB which indicates which wire comes there), and boom you're done.